Dixie Educational Association collection
Scope and Contents
This collection documents the Dixie Educational Association, a non-profit organization, and their efforts regarding Dixie Junior College and Dixie College in the various campus expansion projects they initiated and completed in the years 1939-1975.
The Dixie Educational Association Collection is arranged in three series.
The Correspondence Series contains correspondence between association committee members, legal counsel, and other entities in conducting association business from 1939 to 1975.
The Documents Series contains the legal documents including; the “Articles of Incorporation”, original and photocopy, dated 1946; Deeds, Titles, and Mortgages, dated 1948-1959; Death certificates dated 1949; an Agreement to Build dated 1953; "Brief Historical Comments on the Activites of the Dixie Educational Association & Endowments to Dixie Collge" approximately dated 1961; and “Resolution” with the City of St. George regarding college student dormitories dated 1966. They are arranged in chronological order.
The Meeting Minute Book Series contains an original ledger book documenting the meeting minutes 1946-1975 and photocopy of the meetings 1946-1965. They are arranged in chronological order. The meeting minutes document the names of the members on the committee and the various projects, and fundraisers they initiated and completed for Dixie Junior College and Dixie College. The Dixie Educational Association Committee started in 1933 with members: President B. Glen Smith, W. O. Bentley, W. W. McArthur, Orval Hafen and M. M. Bentley. Fundraising for the construction of the Dixiana Dormitory and Dixie College’s new campus were their most significant projects.
Dates
- Creation: 1939 - 1975
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open and freely available to researchers during Special Collections hours or by appointment. Researchers must complete an Application for Use and show a photo ID prior to accessing materials.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright held by Utah Tech University Library Special Collections and Archives. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be obtained from the Special Collections and Archives.
Biographical / Historical
The Dixie Stake Academy started under sponsorship of the LDS church in 1895. It began as a high school level institution. The Dixie Academy building was started in 1909. The LDS church pledged $20,000 toward the construction and the community was to raise $35,000 in labor & materials. The building opened for classes in September of 1911, though some work continue on beyond that. Eventually, the school became accredited as a junior college. The last two years of high and first two years of college were combined into a four-year curriculum. An agreement was worked out whereby the Washington County School District funded the first the first two years of a student's studies and the LDS church supported the last two years. It took the name, Dixie College.
In 1921, the LDS church began phasing out the church sponsored academies as unnecessary competitors to tax-supported institutions. But the Dixie Academy was spared for a number of years. It even added a two-year teacher training program. But as the Depression worsened, more church schools were closed. On January 31, 1931, the church announced it would stop financial support at the end of the 1930-1931 school year. It did offer $5,000 per year for the next two years to facilitate the transition to entirely state support. A deal was struck whereby the church donated the $200,000 campus to the state and after two years, the state would take over support of the school. During those two years, the school would be operated with the $5,000 yearly contribution of the church, Washington County School District funds, tuitions, and contributions from the community.
For a while, the school was known as Dixie Junior College. In 1953, a special session of the Utah Legislature passed a bill to return Dixie College to the LDS Church (the original owner). This was widely supported in Washington County, but in 1954, a statewide ballot defeated that move. Also in 1954, a project was begun to build a women's dormitory for the college, something that was lacking and very much needed. No state funds were available, but the effort was carried out anyway. Trailers were removed by some land near the college. Local funds were raised and mostly voluntary labor was used. The Dixiana Dormitory was completed in 1956.
During the 1955-1956 school year, it was determined that no more land was available to expand the campus downtown. The legislature was ready to appropriate funds for a new building, but no site could be found. So the idea of a brand new campus was considered. A plan was formulated and a new site selected. The Dixie Education Association, which had been accumulating funds for the support of Dixie College, bought six city blocks and turned them over to the state. In return, the state built a new gymnasium there which was completed in 1957 and agreed to gradually move the college over to the new campus. The move was completed by 1963. On May 24, 1975, Dixie Foundation took over the entire assets of the Dixie Education Association, including the trailer housing operation, which would allow the Dixie Education Association to cease operations.
http://wchsutah.org/schools/dixie-academy.php
UA 034 Dixie Education Association Collection
Full Extent
9 Files (9 folders.)
Language of Materials
English
Metadata Rights Declarations
- License: This record is made available under an Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Creative Commons license.
Abstract
The Dixie Educational Association collection consists of one original minute book ledger and papers related to the Dixie Educational Association and Dixie College in St. George, Utah. The collection is from 1939-1975.
Arrangement
The Dixie Educational Association collection is arranged in two series. Series 1. Correspondence, 1939-1975. Series 2. Documents, 1946, 1966. Series 2. Meeting Minute Book, 1946-1975.
Geographic
Topical
- Status
- Completed
- Author
- Tammy Gentry, Special Collections Paraprofessional
- Date
- December 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- English
- Script of description
- Latin
Revision Statements
- 2021-11-24: Updated and added to by Caitlinn Grimm, Special Collections Paraprofessional.
Repository Details
Part of the Utah Tech University Special Collections and Archives Repository
330 Holland Centennial Commons
225 South 700 East
Saint George 84770 United States
(435) 634-2087
specialcollections@utahtech.edu