Skip to main content

St. George Stake Academy, Dixie Normal College, Dixie Junior College & Dixie College Faculty meeting minutes collection

 Collection
Identifier: UA-032

Scope and Contents

The St. George Stake Academy, Dixie Normal College, Dixie Junior College and Dixie College faculty meeting minutes collection is organized into one series. The Faculty Meeting Minute Book Series contains five notebooks and two ledger books documenting the faculty meetings held at the St. George Stake Academy, Dixie Normal College, Dixie Junior College and Dixie College of the years 1912-1938 in St. George, Utah. They are arranged in chronological order. The seven books are listed as follows: 1. St. George Stake Academy Faculty meeting minutes, Sept. 1912- Feb. 1915, contains faculty meeting minutes under the direction of President Hugh M. Woodward. 2. Dixie Normal College Faculty meeting minutes, Oct. 1915 - April 1917, contains faculty meeting minutes under the direction of President Hugh M. Woodward. 3. Dixie Normal College Faculty meeting minutes, Sept. 1917- April 1918, contains faculty meeting minutes under the direction of President Hugh M. Woodward. 4. Dixie Junior College Faculty meeting minutes, Sept. 1923 - May 1924, contains faculty meeting minutes under the direction of President Edgar M. Jenson. 5. Dixie Junior College Faculty meeting minutes, Sept. 1924 - March 1926, contains faculty meeting minutes under the direction of President Edgar M. Jenson. 6. Dixie College Faculty meeting minutes, Sept. 1926 - May 1932, contains faculty meeting minutes under the direction of President Joseph K. Nicholes. 7. Dixie College Faculty meeting Minutes, Sept. 1932- May 1938, contains faculty meeting minutes under the direction of President B. Glen Smith.

The Faculty meeting minutes in each book document the President and faculty names of the college and their responsibilities working together to help the students succeed in their studies while attending college. Also listed are student body affairs, school activities, student problems, graduation information, student accommodations, petitions for students to drop classes, and out of town schools visiting the campus.

The Dixie Normal College Faculty meeting minutes, Oct. 1915 - April 1917, notes that student’s whose credits are not recorded because of the use of tobacco or drinking whiskey, and students breaking school rules by smoking cannot graduate.

Dixie Normal College Faculty meeting minutes, Sept. 1917- April 1918, note that the school is a Church School System and they want the music students to memorize the choice Mormon Hymns.

Dixie Junior College Faculty meeting minutes, Sept. 1923 - May 1924, note that they will teach Mormon beliefs in the Theology classes. Chewing gum is a problem with the students, and the problem of failing students will be turned over to the Scholarship Committee.

Dates

  • Creation: Majority of material found within 1912 - 1938

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open and freely available to researchers during Special Collections hours or by appointment. Researchers must complete an Application for Use and show a photo ID prior to accessing materials.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright held by Utah Tech University Library Special Collections and Archives. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be obtained from the Special Collections and Archives.

Biographical / Historical

The St. George Stake Academy, later named Dixie Stake Academy, started under sponsorship of the LDS church in 1895. It began as a high school level institution. The Dixie Academy building was started in 1909. The LDS church pledged $20,000 toward the construction and the community was to raise $35,000 in labor and materials. The building opened for classes in September of 1911, though some work continue on beyond that.

Eventually, the school became accredited as a junior college. The last two years of high and first two years of college were combined into a four-year curriculum. An agreement was worked out whereby the Washington County School District funded the first the first two years of a student's studies and the LDS church supported the last two years. It took the name, Dixie College.

In 1921, the LDS church began phasing out the church sponsored academies as unnecessary competitors to tax-supported institutions. But the Dixie Academy was spared for a number of years. It even added a two-year teacher training program. But as the Depression worsened, more church schools were closed. On January 31, 1931, the church announced it would stop financial support at the end of the 1930-1931 school year. It did offer $5,000 per year for the next two years to facilitate the transition to entirely state support. A deal was struck whereby the church donated the $200,000 campus to the state and after two years, the state would take over support of the school. During those two years, the school would be operated with the $5,000 yearly contribution of the church, Washington County School District funds, tuitions, and contributions from the community.

For a while, the school was known as Dixie Junior College. In 1953, a special session of the Utah Legislature passed a bill to return Dixie College to the LDS Church (the original owner). This was widely supported in Washington County, but in 1954, a statewide ballot defeated that move.

In 1954, a project was begun to build a women's dormitory for the college, something that was lacking and very much needed. No state funds were available, but the effort was carried out anyway. Trailers were removed by some land near the college. Local funds were raised and mostly voluntary labor was used. The Dixiana Dormitory was completed in 1956.

During the 1955-1956 school year, it was determined that no more land was available to expand the campus downtown. The legislature was ready to appropriate funds for a new building, but no site could be found. So the idea of a brand new campus was considered. A plan was formulated and a new site selected. The Dixie Education Association, which had been accumulating funds for the support of Dixie College, bought six city blocks and turned them over to the state. In return, the state built a new gymnasium there which was completed in 1957 and agreed to gradually move the college over to the new campus. The move was completed by 1963. http://wchsutah.org/schools/dixie-academy.php

Full Extent

.5 Linear Feet (1 gray legal document case.) : 7 folders containing: Faculty meeting minute books from St. George Stake Academy, Dixie Normal College, Dixie Junior College and Dixie College 1912-1938.

Language of Materials

English

Metadata Rights Declarations

  • License: This record is made available under an Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Creative Commons license.

Abstract

The St. George Stake Academy, Dixie Normal College, Dixie Junior College and Dixie College faculty meeting minutes collection consists of five notebooks and two ledger books documenting the faculty meetings held at the St. George Stake Academy, Dixie Normal College, Dixie Junior College and Dixie College in St. George, Utah. The collection is from 1912-1938.

Arrangement

The St. George Stake Academy, Dixie Normal College, Dixie Junior College and Dixie College faculty meeting minutes collection is grouped into one series. Series 1. Faculty Meeting Minute Books, 1912-1938.

Status
Completed
Author
Tammy Gentry, Special Collections Paraprofessional
Date
November 2020
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Utah Tech University Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
330 Holland Centennial Commons
225 South 700 East
Saint George 84770 United States
(435) 634-2087